Canon In India
Incorporated in 1997, Canon India Pvt. Ltd. is a 100% subsidiary of Canon Singapore Pte.Ltd; a world leader in imaging technologies. Canon today has offices spread across 7 cities in India with an employee strength of over 700 people and markets 140 comprehensive range of sophisticated and contemporary digital imaging products in the country. These include photocopiers, multi-functional peripherals, fax-machines, inkjet and laser printers, scanners, All-in-ones, digital cameras, digital camcorders and multi media projectors, cable id printers, semiconductors and card printers.
Canon has pioneered Five technology 'imaging' engines viz: Optical Engine, Electrophotography, Bubble Jet, Semiconductors and Display which drive Canon's cutting-edge technology products. With over 1100 registered patented technologies in Digital Cameras, 2300 in inkjet printers, 5600 in multifunctional printers and more than 200 in scanners, Canon has emerged as one of the leading technology innovators in the digital imaging space worldwide.
In 2008 Canon has been ranked amongst top 10 employers in India in the Business Today 'Best Companies To Work For In India' survey. This ranking was given on the basis of a process that involved an understanding of the HR systems of companies, a survey of their employees, and a survey of their external stakeholders such as B-schools, placement firms, and alumni. It was undertaken by Mercer Human Resource Consulting.
Canon takes pride in not only bringing quality products to the market; but also contributes to minimising environmental burden through effective application of environmental technologies. Canon focuses on the development of resource conserving products that are smaller, lighter and easy to recycle. In India, Canon takes responsibility to dispose off end of life Canon products and other e-waste by sending such waste to government approved recycling agency.
Today, Canon India is certified for ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001. In 2006, the company was certified for its "Strong commitment to excel" at the CII-EXIM Business Excellence Award. Over the last 12 years of its India growth story, Canon’s comprehensive range of the latest digital imaging products supported by a trained sales force across the country has emerged as its key differentiator.
Canon has around 300 primary level channel partners, 13 National Retial chain partners, 4 Level IV Master Service Centres, over 100 authorized service centers, 3000 secondary retail points, 270 National retail chain stores & 33 Canon Care Centres. Canon products are available in over 300 towns in India. Overall, Canon's presence increased to 4000 outlets in December 2008.
As part of the company's promise to enhance digital experience for consumers, Canon Image Lounge was launched in 2008 in Gurgaon , Mumbai and Bangalore for customers to get a touch and feel of Canon products. The lounges provide a comprehensive display of Canon's vast range of offerings and display over 101 consumer imaging products for consumers to simply look, feel and experience without the compulsion on buying. Special photography workshops and other customer engagement programmes are being held in these lounges. Canon has three Business Solutions Lounge for B2B customers in Gurgaon , Mumbai and Bangalore showcasing business applications alongwith seminar rooms for business workshops.
- Canon launched 108 new products in 2008, the largest ever product launch in India.
- Canon took up sponsorship in the IPL Cricket tournament for the PowerShot range of cameras, where every 4 and 6 hit was called a PowerShot.
- Canon launched its regional outreach programmes across the country - Amchi Mumbai, Humari Delhi, Namma Bengaluru and Namma Chennai. The projects were launched to create better connect with customers in these regions.
- Canon launched 'Image Fest' which showcases all Canon cameras and photo printing products by creating an exclusive edifice - a traveling exhibition.
- To reinforce its focus on regional markets, Canon launched the Print City project across 6 cities.
- Canon emerged as No.1 in Copier MFD category with 23% market share.
- Canon introduced its major thrust in 3 new areas of production and graphic arts, government business and system integration space.
Marketing highlights for 2008
- Canon doubled its channel financing facility.
- Canon initiated green procurement and digitisation to reduce paper wastes etc.
- Canon increased its score on employee satisfaction substantially.
- Canon increased its billing locations to 12.